turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

contra123

1099-B states "Transactions for which basis is not reported to the IRS and for which short or long term basis is unknown to broker" where do I repot this?

Using TT Premier and in the 1099-B completion area, there is not a drop down item with this description.  Where do I go from there?  Your help is appreciated.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

1099-B states "Transactions for which basis is not reported to the IRS and for which short or long term basis is unknown to broker" where do I repot this?

Because this is a non-covered security (cost basis and/or holding period unknown), you must enter the acquisition date and cost basis from your records  - the program will calculate whether it was a long-tern gain/loss (held 1 year or longer) or a short-term gain/loss (held less than a year)

The 1099-B reported the date sold and the gross proceeds, but not the holding period or cost basis - the brokerage firm doesn't have that information.

See the following sample screenshot for entering this in the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds and Other" interview.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Because this is a non-covered security (cost basis and/or holding period unknown), you must enter the acquisition date and cost basis from your records  - the program will calculate whether it was a long-tern gain/loss (held 1 year or longer) or a short-term gain/loss (held less than a year)

The 1099-B reported the date sold and the gross proceeds, but not the holding period or cost basis - the brokerage firm doesn't have that information.

See the following sample screenshot for entering this in the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds and Other" interview.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies