turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hk17
Returning Member

public service officer insurance 3K deduction

My Husband and I are both retired public service officers. I have the deduction for the family plan taken out of my pension. when I inputted the fields in the "step by step" section for the CSA 1099-R, I am getting an error on the Smartscan where 6K is being taken out (I paid in the 4Ks, and noted such in the questionnaire).

I cannot change this 6K no matter what I input in either my, or my husband's step-by-step questionnaire, nor can i change this manually in forms.

is this a glitch? I can't finish my taxes without changing this

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
hk17
Returning Member

sorry, i mean public SAFETY officer

SamS1
Expert Alumni

The maximum amount eligible to be excluded is $3000. The additional $1000 would be a medical deduction on Schedule A.  In Forms mode, review the 1099R entries.  You would not enter the health insurance premiums paid in box 5 of the the CSA-1099R entry screens.  This could be causing the error as Box 1 minus Box 2 should equal Box 5.

The questions on health insurance come after the CSA-1099R input.  If you are not able make changes tot he CSA-1099R amounts, delete them and re-enter. You can review your entries in Forms Mode by selecting the 1099R in the left panel and scrolling down the screen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies