Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deellington

Point of question, I'm retired from a state retirement system other then the state I reside. Do I have to file for out of state income?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

Point of question, I'm retired from a state retirement system other then the state I reside. Do I have to file for out of state income?

No, pensions may be taxable in your resident state but they are not taxable to the state that you used to live and work in.

On Jan. 10, 1996, Congress enacted the Pension Source Tax Act of 1996 (P.L. 104-94). This law specifically stipulates that, "No State may impose an income tax on any retirement income of an individual who is not a resident or domiciliary of such State." While the Source Tax law still allows individual states to define residency on their own terms, it prohibits any state from taxing non-residents for pensions earned within the state. If you earn a pension in Vermont, for instance, then retire to New York, Vermont may not tax your pension income.

See Limitation on State Income Taxation of Certain Pension Income for additional information

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

No, pensions may be taxable in your resident state but they are not taxable to the state that you used to live and work in.

On Jan. 10, 1996, Congress enacted the Pension Source Tax Act of 1996 (P.L. 104-94). This law specifically stipulates that, "No State may impose an income tax on any retirement income of an individual who is not a resident or domiciliary of such State." While the Source Tax law still allows individual states to define residency on their own terms, it prohibits any state from taxing non-residents for pensions earned within the state. If you earn a pension in Vermont, for instance, then retire to New York, Vermont may not tax your pension income.

See Limitation on State Income Taxation of Certain Pension Income for additional information

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.61m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v