Payer ID on form 1099-R is needed. We get 3 pensions from Japan posted to a Japanese bank. These pension companies have never heard of a 1099-R and can not send one.

We filed last year and this number was not asked for. Now this year TT issists for it to be entered. These pension plans, in Japan, do not have one. Is there an override number?

You can enter your Japanese pensions as Other Miscellaneous Income in TurboTax.  The IRS no longer accepting 'Substitute 1099-R forms' without a valid Payor ID. 

Go to Wages & Income and choose 'I'll explore on my own'.

From the list of topics, scroll down to Less Common Income, and click Start/Update on Miscellaneous Income. 

From the topic list, scroll down to 'Other Reportable Income' and say Yes.

You will be able to enter a description and amount (screenshot).

It makes sense but then that worries me. This is a govt form and it makes sense. 😉 (but I will use)