turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Out of State 1099-G

I received at 1099-G from the state of California. We did not live in California during 2016, or 2015. We moved to Texas in 2014. We sold our house in California in 2015, which caused me to file taxes in California for that year. We received a credit on those taxes (filed in 2016) which is why i received the 1099-G. My question is, do I need to claim this somewhere? If so, where and how? I am not planning to file taxes in California because we have not lived there in over two years. Please help!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Out of State 1099-G

The 1099-G from California was from a refund of state taxes you received from California in 2016 for tax year 2015 and not income attributable to California.

As long as you enter the 1099-G into TurboTax for 2016 and answer all questions, TurboTax will determine whether or not the state tax refund is taxable on your federal return.

If you have no other California income and did not reside in California for all of 2016, then you are not required to file a California State return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelDC

Out of State 1099-G

The 1099-G from California was from a refund of state taxes you received from California in 2016 for tax year 2015 and not income attributable to California.

As long as you enter the 1099-G into TurboTax for 2016 and answer all questions, TurboTax will determine whether or not the state tax refund is taxable on your federal return.

If you have no other California income and did not reside in California for all of 2016, then you are not required to file a California State return.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies