Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jrbaucom2

. ( OR RATHER irs SAYS I OWE MORE MONEY BECAUSE my SOCIAL SECURITY INCOME WAS FIGURED IN CORRECTLY, hOW DO I GET HELP?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

. ( OR RATHER irs SAYS I OWE MORE MONEY BECAUSE my SOCIAL SECURITY INCOME WAS FIGURED IN CORRECTLY, hOW DO I GET HELP?

The notice you received from the IRS should indicate what they changed on your filed tax return so that the taxable amount of your Social Security benefits increased.  If you have questions concerning the IRS notice then call the number provided with the notice and speak with an IRS agent.

You can also get assistance in understanding the IRS notice you received from a TurboTax agent at the Audit Support Center.  Use this website to access the Audit Support Center - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The notice you received from the IRS should indicate what they changed on your filed tax return so that the taxable amount of your Social Security benefits increased.  If you have questions concerning the IRS notice then call the number provided with the notice and speak with an IRS agent.

You can also get assistance in understanding the IRS notice you received from a TurboTax agent at the Audit Support Center.  Use this website to access the Audit Support Center - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

They don't just change your SS taxable amount.  What happened was they increased some other income on your return which made more of the SS taxable.  Usually they change the taxable amount of any 401k or IRA distributions or conversions you got.  Did you get any 1099R forms?  Check 1040 lines 15b and 16b.  Or  you completely left out some other income you got.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies