ronsaatjian

OPM annuity statement is a 1099-R but the TurboTax questions for 1099-Rs include RMD's which does not apply to my OPM annuity. Is this a flaw in TurboTax?

MichaelL1

There is no flaw in the program asking about the RMD. 

You just do not have to worry about the RMD amount from your retirement due to getting monthly checks based on your expected life.

I am assuming you have passed the age of 70 1/2, which is the required age for the required minimum distributions.

All retirement accounts, even pensions and annuities, must meet the RMD requirements.

However, the way the pension plans meet the RMD requirements is by creating an annuity paid periodically.  You may simply select YES to the RMD question (Was this withdrawal RMD and all of this was RMD).  You will also be asked if the amount reported is paid periodically in equal amounts.  By selecting YES the RMD requirements are met and you may continue with the tax preparation.

MichaelL1