turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

One of my 1099-INT shows an early withdrawal penalty for a regular CD. Can I deduct this from my tax returns and how using Turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

One of my 1099-INT shows an early withdrawal penalty for a regular CD. Can I deduct this from my tax returns and how using Turbotax?

When you enter the 1099-INT in TurboTax, check the box below box 1 that says "My form has info in more than just box 1." Then all the other boxes will appear on the screen, including box 2 for the early withdrawal penalty. When you enter it there, TurboTax will put the deduction on your tax return. It will appear on Schedule 1 line 30, and will be subtracted when your Adjusted Gross Income is calculated on Form 1040 line 7.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

When you enter the 1099-INT in TurboTax, check the box below box 1 that says "My form has info in more than just box 1." Then all the other boxes will appear on the screen, including box 2 for the early withdrawal penalty. When you enter it there, TurboTax will put the deduction on your tax return. It will appear on Schedule 1 line 30, and will be subtracted when your Adjusted Gross Income is calculated on Form 1040 line 7.

BobB7

And just for your information, the item is an "adjustment" instead of a "deduction" and that's good because you benefit from it even if you don't itemize.

Thank you very much for the immediate answer and the clarification (adjustment rather than deduction). I appreciate it very much.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Some people call an adjustment an "above the line deduction." The official IRS term is "adjustment."

Thanks, rjs, for your help.
DD210

Does that "adjustment" carry over to the state return?

Yes it does carry over to the state return to the extent that the state income tax is based on federal adjusted gross income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies