turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We arrived in Florida our new state of permanent residency on January 17th do we owe taxes on our entire pension even though all were paid after January 17?

Connecticut requires Special Accrual of income for part year residents and I was a resident of Connecticut for the first half of January until we moved to Florida. Does that mean I have to report all my pension and required minimum distribution 401K income as Connecticut Resident Period income (ie Column B on Schedule CT-1040AW") even though all the payments were received after Jan 17th.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We arrived in Florida our new state of permanent residency on January 17th do we owe taxes on our entire pension even though all were paid after January 17?

No, the special accrual does not apply to retirement income.  There is a federal law that retirement income is only taxed in the state you are a resident of at the time you receive it, regardless of the source or where you worked.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No, the special accrual does not apply to retirement income.  There is a federal law that retirement income is only taxed in the state you are a resident of at the time you receive it, regardless of the source or where you worked.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies