My wife and I received a 1099-R for distribution f...

Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife and I received a 1099-R for distribution from joint owned annuity. Do I enter both in joint return? How do I show as duplicate not double income?

It depends. If you received Forms 1099-R for each of you, then enter each of them. The plan administrator should have split the distribution between both Forms 1099-R to equal the total annual distribution. If this is in error, it would be best to request corrected Forms 1099-R as soon as possible.

For more information, see this article: Where do I enter my 1099-R?

@Anonymous

Do both 1099-R's have the amount of the distribution?     That does not seem right if so.   Usually, I believe that a joint annuity would be on a single 1099-R with both names or if paid separately then only the amount paid to that joint owner.

Is this the first distribution?   If not, then how was it handled last year?