Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

psikes79

My wife and I make the same, all w-2 income & file M1 on our W4. Why do we owe a five-figure amount in federal tax beyond what was withheld by our respective employers?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife and I make the same, all w-2 income & file M1 on our W4. Why do we owe a five-figure amount in federal tax beyond what was withheld by our respective employers?

For two earner families, and especially as your income gets higher, the withholding tables do not work very well. You can file new W-4s with your employers and choose "married but withhold at the higher single rate" and claim 0 exemptions. Even that may not have enough withheld, so you can also ask your employer to withhold an extra cash amount each pay period. I fought that for years and both my wife and I had to withhold at the single rate, claim 0 and have extra cash withheld each pay period.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

For two earner families, and especially as your income gets higher, the withholding tables do not work very well. You can file new W-4s with your employers and choose "married but withhold at the higher single rate" and claim 0 exemptions. Even that may not have enough withheld, so you can also ask your employer to withhold an extra cash amount each pay period. I fought that for years and both my wife and I had to withhold at the single rate, claim 0 and have extra cash withheld each pay period.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies