turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Roth 401k contributions for 2017 are 12252.24. which is below the 18,000 limit. Is there a reason it says I'm being fined for excess contributions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My Roth 401k contributions for 2017 are 12252.24. which is below the 18,000 limit. Is there a reason it says I'm being fined for excess contributions?

Solved in comments.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Keep in mind that the maximum contribution is an aggregate limit across all of your 401(k) plans. You cannot save $18,000 in a traditional 401(k) and another $18,000 in a Roth 401(k).

#2:  You only enter those contributions as a part of your W-2 form.

If you re-entered the contributions as IRA/RothIRA Contributions on the Deductions&Credits page....you need to go take them out of there.  a 401k is NOT an IRA.  a ROTH 401k is NOT a ROTH IRA.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks yeah I think I've figured it out. For some reason I think it was entering the information from my W-2 as an IRA. Thanks for the help

Solved in comments.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies