Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My lump sum pension rollover into traditional IRA

I retired last June and after retiring I had my small pension lump sum balance directly rolled over into my IRA.

So now I have a 1099-R which confirms my lump sum pension balance was rolled over directly into my IRA. The 1099 box 7 is correctly marked "G".  But when I complete the turbotax income related "interview", answering the required questions, the lump sum pension balance is included in my "Total Income Summary" presented at the end of the 9 income related sections of the interview.  It's not income, it's a direct rollover and non-taxable. I went back to the income section to confirm my answers and input. 

Is this normal or a software bug?  Do I need to make an edit manually by pulling up the associated IRS form turbotax will be filling out for me?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are looking at a summary screen or review screen those show the full amount as income and lump a lot of stuff together. You need to check the actual 1040 form and make sure it's right. Check lines 5b for any taxable amount.  For a rollover line 5b should be zero and the word Rollover by it.

Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are looking at a summary screen or review screen those show the full amount as income and lump a lot of stuff together. You need to check the actual 1040 form and make sure it's right. Check lines 5b for any taxable amount.  For a rollover line 5b should be zero and the word Rollover by it.

Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies