turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

benenson1
Returning Member

My IRS return did not include my wife's 8606 form for documenting the basis for her IRA. It shows up if I search forms for 8606 (shows both hers 8606-S and mine 8606-T)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My IRS return did not include my wife's 8606 form for documenting the basis for her IRA. It shows up if I search forms for 8606 (shows both hers 8606-S and mine 8606-T)

What do you mean "not included", but it "shows up" - which is it?

Did you enter a 1099-R for the proper spouse and answer the followup questions that there was a basis in the IRA and then enter the year end value?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

perhaps the form was noy required to be filed.  here are the rules

File Form 8606 if any of the following apply.
• You made nondeductible contributions to a traditional IRA for 2018, including a repayment of a qualified reservist distribution.
• You received distributions from a traditional, SEP, or SIMPLE IRA in 2018 and your basis in traditional IRAs is
more than zero. For this purpose, a distribution doesn’t include a distribution that is rolled over (other than a
repayment of a qualified 2017 disaster distribution (see 2018 Form 8915B)), qualified charitable distribution,
one-time distribution to fund an HSA, conversion, recharacterization, or return of certain contributions.
• You converted an amount from a traditional, SEP, or SIMPLE IRA to a Roth IRA in 2018.
• You received distributions from a Roth IRA in 2018 (other than a rollover, recharacterization, or return of certain contributions—see the instructions for Part III)
• You received a distribution from an inherited traditional IRA that has a basis, or you received a distribution from an inherited Roth IRA that wasn’t a qualified distribution. You may need to file more than one Form 8606. See IRA  with basis under What if You Inherit an IRA? in Pub. 590-B for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies