Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband passed away in 2019, I have been receiving his retirement benefits, last year principle took over the account. They say they do not send out tax stuff

How do I find out how much I was given for the year and how much taxes were taken out.  I live in Iowa
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My husband passed away in 2019, I have been receiving his retirement benefits, last year principle took over the account. They say they do not send out tax stuff

You mean the financial institution has gone paperless and will not mail out the tax documents?   Have you tried going to their website to get the information?    You might have to do that or -- if they are partnered with TurboTax to allow importing the information----you may be able to import it into TT.   It is often late January to mid-February before financial institutions have their information formatted for import into tax software, even if they have it visible online.  So if it is there, you can print it out and key it in by hand, or wait to import it in a few weeks.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I am unsure who you spoke to but Principal does send out a 1099-R for retirement benefits.  This is not an option that they have, the law says they have to issue 1099-R's for everyone that they paid more than $10 to. They may have an option where you can get your 1099-R online, but unless you somehow selected to go paperless, they do mail out the 1099-R.  

If you are having trouble getting one, you may want to contact them again.  If for some reason, you continue to have difficulty in receiving one, you will need to contact the IRS at 800-829-1040 for help with getting your 1099-R.  But, again, I would call Principal again before doing that.  They do have until January 31st to send out all tax forms. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My pension is with Principal too now.  I've been waiting.  I just got the 1099R today 1/24/24.  I wrote the date I got on it so I'll know next year.  It is dated 1/16.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies