turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband is 100% disabled veteran and he receives a retirement check and social security from the VA. Do we need to report any of these funds on our taxes? What VA funds would we need to report?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband is 100% disabled veteran and he receives a retirement check and social security from the VA. Do we need to report any of these funds on our taxes? What VA funds would we need to report?

VA disability payments are not reported on a tax return.  Social Security Disability payments are reported on a federal tax return.  However, if Social Security is the only income that you would be reporting on a joint tax return, a federal tax return does not have to be filed.  If there is other income to report then enter the benefits reported on the SSA-1099 as follows:

To enter your Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

View solution in original post

7 Replies

VA disability payments are not reported on a tax return.  Social Security Disability payments are reported on a federal tax return.  However, if Social Security is the only income that you would be reporting on a joint tax return, a federal tax return does not have to be filed.  If there is other income to report then enter the benefits reported on the SSA-1099 as follows:

To enter your Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

What if we haven't received either of those forms and his Social Security is from a veteran disability? I spoke to someone over the phone who said we would need to file for SSI (low income) but not for Social Security disability. I'm a little confused.

SSI stands for Supplemental Security Income (a type of welfare) and is never entered on a tax return.  Only benefits received from Social Security and reported on a SSA-1099 are entered on a federal tax return.
But again, if the VA disability payments and the Social Security Disability payments are the only income being received, you do not have to file a tax return.

We didn't receive a SSA-1099; where do we get this form? I work and have a few W-2s, and since we are filing jointly, will I need to file his SSD?

The SSA-1099 is sent from the Social Security Administration and you should have received or will shortly receive the form in the mail.  Yes you will have to enter the SSDI on your joint tax return.

Social Security Benefits
These benefits are usually reported on Forms SSA-1099 or RRB-1099.

Benefits include payments for:
Social Security retirement
Social Security disability
Survivor's benefits

These do not include:
Payments your child received (unless this is the child's return)
Veterans' benefits

Generally, you don't need to report veterans' benefits you received. Here is an exception:

- You received education benefits and claim education expenses for a credit or deduction.

Just found this information
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies