Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband died in 2019. In 2020 I received retirement income for my deceased husband in 2020 under his SS#. I was single for all of 2020. How do I file?

Single? Filing Joint? ect?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My husband died in 2019. In 2020 I received retirement income for my deceased husband in 2020 under his SS#. I was single for all of 2020. How do I file?

You cannot file Joint for 2020. Does the company that sent the retirement money know that he passed in 2019?  If so, then the 2020 1099-R belongs to your husband's Estate, which may require the filing of Form 1041.

2020 Form 1041 (irs.gov)

OR they issued the 1099-R under his name and Social Security number when they should have issued it under your name and Social Security number.  I recommend contacting the payor ASAP.  

@beaorsino1 

all you have to do is report the income on your own tax return.

Put it under other income -" Income in respect of a decedent".

True, but then you get into a correspondence loop with the IRS when they run their matching programs, and we know how the Service is handling correspondence right now--as in, months if not a year or more behind.

IN MY OPINION ONLY, it's best to get a corrected 1099-R and report the income under Pensions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies