turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mrbud
Returning Member

My husband and I are self employed. Turbo tax checked the "covered by retirement plan at work" box 1 on IRA deduction sheet. How do I fix this? I did not enter any W2s.

I am not sure why TT is saying we are covered by retirement plan at work. Did not enter W2s or 401K contributions.  Is this a software glitch?  Where is it coming from? The step by step IRA contribution dialogue does not ask if we are covered by employer retirement plan.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

My husband and I are self employed. Turbo tax checked the "covered by retirement plan at work" box 1 on IRA deduction sheet. How do I fix this? I did not enter any W2s.

TurboTax makes that determination if any of the following are true:

1) Box 13 (retirement plan) on your (or spouses) W-2 is checked,
2) Box 12 on your (or spouses) W-2 contains codes D, E, F, S, or AA/
3) You answered “yes” to the “Are you covered by a Retirement Plan at work” in the interview.
4) You have a self-employed retirement plan.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
mrbud
Returning Member

Thank you for your response!  The problem is that even though our magi is less than $104K, Turbo tax does not show the full IRA deduction.  Even  with a SEP, married filing jointly should be able to deduct the full IRA contribution, if MAGI is less than $104K.  Is this a bug?

@mrbud wrote:

Thank you for your response!  The problem is that even though our magi is less than $104K, Turbo tax does not show the full IRA deduction.  Even  with a SEP, married filing jointly should be able to deduct the full IRA contribution, if MAGI is less than $104K.  Is this a bug?

What is on line 2 & 3 on that same worksheet?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
mrbud
Returning Member

IRA deduction worksheet:

Line 2:  Spouse $0,   Self: $29,436

Line 3: Spouse $7,000,  Self:  $7,000

• Federal
  • Deductions and Credits
  • Retirement and Investments
  • Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions
  • Go through the screens until you come to the question: Retirement Plan at Work
  • Is ___covered a retirement plan at work and answer No

Repeat steps above for each person.

mrbud
Returning Member

I tried, but I do not see that question when I go through the screens...

@mrbud wrote:

IRA deduction worksheet:

Line 2:  Spouse $0,   Self: $29,436

Line 3: Spouse $7,000,  Self:  $7,000

You indicated that you are self-employed - do you have a self employed SEP or SIMPLE plan?   Or other SE retirement plan?

The amount of deduction should be on line 16 of the worksheet.   If 16 is less than line 4 then follow the line 5-15 calculations to find out why.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies