My ex husband filed me on his taxes. He has collec...

mbailey1893

My ex husband filed me on his taxes. He has collected my stimulus payments and will not give me any benefits of either of them. They was direct deposited into his account

How can I get my stimulus checks back that were wrongly direct deposited into my ex husbands bank acct?

What do you mean, your ex-husband “filed you.” What was the date of your divorce? Have you filed your own tax return for 2020?

mbailey1893

He filed my tax return with his as married. Our divorce finalized In November.  We have been legally separated since early march 2020.

File your own return as single (or head of household if you have a qualifying dependent).  You will have to file by mail, if he e-filed first and blocked you.  You can claim the rebate on your return if you did not receive a stimulus payment over the summer.  When the IRS gets the two returns, they will first pay your claimed refund, then they will start to investigate.  If your divorce was final in November, it will be easy for you to prove you are right and he is wrong.  But don't send proof now, just sign and mail your return and wait.

If you received a stimulus payment over the summer in your name, but your ex kept the money, the IRS will not pay a rebate now even if you claim it.  That is a financial issue that should have been addressed as part of your divorce.