Solved: MY 1099-R from the Defense Finance and Accounting Service has a "Payer's Federal Identification number" of "34-Q727612". Turbo Tax insists no alpha characters may be used

trbolary

MY 1099-R from the Defense Finance and Accounting Service has a "Payer's Federal Identification number" of "34-Q727612". Turbo Tax insists no alpha characters may be used

jessewm

I have a 1099-R from the same agency; the Q is a misprint, it should be a 0.

trbolary

This is probably the EIN used for all military retirement pay 1099-R forms.
jessewm

cmchiker

So typical of the government.  I have a 2020 1099-R from one of my clients and the EIN is wrong again this year.  Looks like they corrected the problem last year but this year they left off the 2 on the end.  Yes, the number printed this year is 34-072761 (only 8 digits).  I'm assuming the correct number is 34-0727612??

cmchiker

Ok, they have corrected it already....client gave me a Corrected 1099R with the correct number 34-0727612.

AukuBird

Another misprint is out there where they drop the 2 at the end. Turbotax will add a 0 for you since there are not enough characters and your ein will be wrong and get rejected. Hope this helps someone else, took a bit to figure it out. Semper Fortis!