Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LLC/Sole proprieter Convert to S Corp and SEP IRA's?

Hi, I Have my own business and I established a SEP IRA in 2020 when I was still a sole proprieter/LLC and made a contribution. I then applied to become an S-Corp, (still waiting to hear back from IRS) can I still use that same SEP Ira for my now S-Corp business?Business name is the same, etc. but I am now an employee of my Scorp and getting a W2 rather than 'self employed.'

And if I file an extension on my taxes till October do i have until Oct 2022 to make a 2021 contribution to the SEP?

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

LLC/Sole proprieter Convert to S Corp and SEP IRA's?

An employer can make the SEP contribution to any SEP-IRA owned by the employee, so the S corp can make its SEP contributions to the same SEP-IRA as you did as sole proprietor.

If the S corp uses a calendar tax year, the due date of a 2021 Form 1120-S was March 15, 2022 and it's now too late to request a filing extension.  If no request for a filing extension (Form 7004) was made by March 15, this S corp can't make a SEP contribution for 2021.  Filing Form 7004 by March 15 would have extended the filing deadline to September 15.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies