turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

csarros

LIne 50 - "Did you have any open IRA accounts on 12/31/18". Does this mean do I still own an IRA?

I still have an IRA plus a Roth IRA.  What should I enter on line 50?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

LIne 50 - "Did you have any open IRA accounts on 12/31/18". Does this mean do I still own an IRA?

for purposes of year end value of all your IRAs, do not include Roth IRAs.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

for purposes of year end value of all your IRAs, do not include Roth IRAs.

dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax is asking about your Roth IRAs.  Yes, answer Yes because you still had money in a Roth IRA on December 31.

No boxes on Line 50 of the IRA Information Worksheet are checked after completing (and double checking my answers) in the step by step interview.  The answers are obviously "Yes" based on the information TurboTax gathers from the interview.  Are users expected to go to the forms and check the appropriate boxes manually?  
dmertz
Level 15

If you made no distributions from a Roth IRA, TurboTax does not need to know if you had a Roth IRA "open" on December 31 and does not ask.  If you did make a Roth IRA distribution but did not reach the question where TurboTax asks, TurboTax will catch the lack of an answer during Smart Check.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies