Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Line 10b charitable contributions for standard deduction. Turbotax says line should be blank but I'm allowed to take a $300 contribution. Anyone else having this problem?

MY LINE IS 12B BUT THE PROBLEM SAYS UNACCEPTIBLE VALUE AT 300 AND I CAN MAKE IT 600 AS I AM MARRIED. HOWEVER, I CAN PUT 70000 IN AND GTHE PROBLEM REMAINS. EARLY IN THE GAME, BUT TALKING TO SOMEONE AT TURBO IS LIKE NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE. SUCKS IF IT IS THEIR PROGRAM. I DID NOTHING WRONG. MAY BE TIME TO SHOP AROUND..........

Line 10b charitable contributions for standard deduction. Turbotax says line should be blank but I'm allowed to take a $300 contribution. Anyone else having this problem?

@HERBIEBEANS wrote:

MY LINE IS 12B BUT THE PROBLEM SAYS UNACCEPTIBLE VALUE AT 300 AND I CAN MAKE IT 600 AS I AM MARRIED. HOWEVER, I CAN PUT 70000 IN AND GTHE PROBLEM REMAINS. EARLY IN THE GAME, BUT TALKING TO SOMEONE AT TURBO IS LIKE NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE. SUCKS IF IT IS THEIR PROGRAM. I DID NOTHING WRONG. MAY BE TIME TO SHOP AROUND..........

For the TurboTax desktop editions

To remove the error I went into Forms mode and deleted the Charitable Organization Worksheet.  Then on the Form 1040 Worksheet for Line 12b removed the $300 amount so Line 12b is now blank (empty).

Going back to Step-by-Step I completed the Deductions & Credits section without entering anything for a charitable donation and click on Done with Deductions.  Continuing through the screens until landing on the screen labeled Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act, I entered $600.  Continued through Final Review without error.

For the TurboTax online editions -

The problem appears to be that a charitable donation was entered in the Deductions and Credits section of the program when you are only eligible for the Standard Deduction.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

Scroll through the all the forms, schedules and worksheets listed and delete all the Charitable Organization forms listed.

When completed with removing forms click on Continue With My Return at the bottom of the list.

Click on Federal on the left side of the screen

Click on Deductions & Credits at the top of the screen

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Wrap up tax breaks

Continue through the screens.  After the screen showing that you are getting the Standard Deduction the following screen is Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act.  Enter $600 if filing Jointly or $300 for all other filing status'.  The federal review and the Final Review should no longer show an error for the charitable donation.

This silly nonsense about compensating for TT's negligence in 2021 is way down under questions about 2020 returns.  Pitiful.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies