turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ret.on Gvmt.disblity,66 in 2016.OPM letter:'ticket terminated',paymnt = SS benefit.This in addition to early ret. SS pay?Did not get 1099R.Have SSA1099.How 2 enter on TT?

I'm an ex government employee,    I retired on disability and i reached 66 in 2016.

I received an OPM letter: my Ticket has terminated, payment becomes SS benefit.

Is this in addition to my early ret. SS payments?

I have no 1099R.

I only SSA1099.

How do I treat it on TT Premier?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Ret.on Gvmt.disblity,66 in 2016.OPM letter:'ticket terminated',paymnt = SS benefit.This in addition to early ret. SS pay?Did not get 1099R.Have SSA1099.How 2 enter on TT?

It sounds as if when you reached the normal retirement age, your disability payments were transferred to the Social Security Administration.

I can't find where this is documented for OPM disability recipients, but it does happen for other retirement systems where the treatment of your income changes when you reach the "normal" retirement age.

If indeed you are supposed to receive Social Security, then enter the SSA-1099 into TurboTax in the appropriate place - go to Federal Taxes->Wages & Income->Retirement Plans and Social Security and click on "Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)".

However, it may be prudent to call the contact number on the letter you received to confirm that it is correct that your disability benefit was transferred to Social Security. If there is no contact information, you might try looking at page 2 of this brochure "Information for Disability Annuitants", written for CSRS retirees, for their contact information.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It sounds as if when you reached the normal retirement age, your disability payments were transferred to the Social Security Administration.

I can't find where this is documented for OPM disability recipients, but it does happen for other retirement systems where the treatment of your income changes when you reach the "normal" retirement age.

If indeed you are supposed to receive Social Security, then enter the SSA-1099 into TurboTax in the appropriate place - go to Federal Taxes->Wages & Income->Retirement Plans and Social Security and click on "Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)".

However, it may be prudent to call the contact number on the letter you received to confirm that it is correct that your disability benefit was transferred to Social Security. If there is no contact information, you might try looking at page 2 of this brochure "Information for Disability Annuitants", written for CSRS retirees, for their contact information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies