turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jason-macdonald
Returning Member

It says i have a W-2c Coming because i deferred Social Security taxes. I don't pay SS. i work for the city of Boston , do i need to change something i entered ?

This Has been Answered - Thank you 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It says i have a W-2c Coming because i deferred Social Security taxes. I don't pay SS. i work for the city of Boston , do i need to change something i entered ?

No...You just ignore the notice...it has nothing to do with you and tens-of-thousands of others who are in Retirement systems that don't pay into SS.

TTX is having trouble getting the notice to show up only for those situations where it is true...but the notice affects absolutely nothing in you tax filing...so you can ignore it.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

@DaveF1006 

For Boston Public employees and many (most/all) Massachusetts state employees, Teachers...etc...

Here's one page that deals with their situation:

https://mtrs.state.ma.us/service/social-security/

"As you probably know, Massachusetts is one of a handful of “non-Social Security” states. This means that you, as a member of a contributory retirement system, pay into our system instead of Social Security; you do not earn any Social Security “credits” or “quarters” for your MTRS contributions or service."

So "nothing" will be in box 4  for year after year...(don't know how they handle box 3 for that situation).....and the W-2C notice has absolutely nothing to do with these thousands of folks.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

6 Replies

No...You just ignore the notice...it has nothing to do with you and tens-of-thousands of others who are in Retirement systems that don't pay into SS.

TTX is having trouble getting the notice to show up only for those situations where it is true...but the notice affects absolutely nothing in you tax filing...so you can ignore it.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You did not defer anything.  Your employer may have deferred this tax and if they did, you may or may not receive a W2-C. Some were allowed to do this because of COVID 19 restrictions.

This does not affect your overall tax return but may affect your social security account.  Check your social security tax amount in Box 4 of your W2 to see if it is 6.2% of your wages. If so, then no action is required.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DaveF1006 

For Boston Public employees and many (most/all) Massachusetts state employees, Teachers...etc...

Here's one page that deals with their situation:

https://mtrs.state.ma.us/service/social-security/

"As you probably know, Massachusetts is one of a handful of “non-Social Security” states. This means that you, as a member of a contributory retirement system, pay into our system instead of Social Security; you do not earn any Social Security “credits” or “quarters” for your MTRS contributions or service."

So "nothing" will be in box 4  for year after year...(don't know how they handle box 3 for that situation).....and the W-2C notice has absolutely nothing to do with these thousands of folks.

jason-macdonald
Returning Member

Thank you for the Answer 

jason-macdonald
Returning Member

Thank you for the Answer 

jason-macdonald
Returning Member

Thank you for the Answer to my question 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies