turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drpaj

My wife received a beneficiary distribution from her mother's IRA in 2018. Must she claim that as CA income, or can she claim it as NE, non-resident income?

The mother-in-law was a NE resident and died in Dec., 2017.  All IRA contributions were in NE.  The distribution was paid from a NE institution.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

My wife received a beneficiary distribution from her mother's IRA in 2018. Must she claim that as CA income, or can she claim it as NE, non-resident income?

It's taxable income in the state in which your wife resided at the time of the beneficiary distribution paid to her.  From the way the question was stated, I'm guessing that your wife resided in California, so it's California income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

It's taxable income in the state in which your wife resided at the time of the beneficiary distribution paid to her.  From the way the question was stated, I'm guessing that your wife resided in California, so it's California income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies