turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

d50dfb0a

Can I take the $6500 deduction for a traditional IRA contribution if no money was added to my SEP IRA during the year?

My employer set up a SEP but has not consistently contributed to it; 2017 additions were zero. TurboTax asks if I am covered by a SEP IRA and I check "Yes". No deduction is then allowed for a contribution to a traditional IRA. Do I check the "No" box instead?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Can I take the $6500 deduction for a traditional IRA contribution if no money was added to my SEP IRA during the year?

Check "NO" You’re only covered by an employer retirement plan for a tax year if your employer (or your spouse’s employer) has a:

IRA-based plan (SEP, SARSEP or SIMPLE IRA plan) and you had an amount contributed to your IRA for the plan year that ends with or within the tax year

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MichaelDC

Do you have W2 Box 13 Retirement plan checked?
d50dfb0a

It is not checked.
MichaelDC

Perfect. The answer still stands. Good Luck!
d50dfb0a

Thank you very much.
MichaelDC

Check "NO" You’re only covered by an employer retirement plan for a tax year if your employer (or your spouse’s employer) has a:

IRA-based plan (SEP, SARSEP or SIMPLE IRA plan) and you had an amount contributed to your IRA for the plan year that ends with or within the tax year

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies