turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a way to remove the additional 10% the system says you owe for early distribution?

I overpaid for taxes and the  income from the withdrawal did not put me i a higher tax bracket so I should break even with what was withheld as there was a sufficient amount to cover the 10% penalty as well.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is there a way to remove the additional 10% the system says you owe for early distribution?

A taxable withdrawal from a tax deferred retirement account is entered on your tax return as ordinary income and taxed at your current tax rate.

The federal taxes withheld for the withdrawal from a tax deferred retirement account are entered on Form 1040 Line 64 as a tax payment (just like from a W-2).  The 10% early withdrawal penalty is assessed and entered as a tax liability on Form 1040 Line 59.  If your total tax payments are greater than your total tax liabilities you will receive a tax refund for the overpayment.  If your total tax payments are less than your total tax liabilities then you will have taxes owed.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

A taxable withdrawal from a tax deferred retirement account is entered on your tax return as ordinary income and taxed at your current tax rate.

The federal taxes withheld for the withdrawal from a tax deferred retirement account are entered on Form 1040 Line 64 as a tax payment (just like from a W-2).  The 10% early withdrawal penalty is assessed and entered as a tax liability on Form 1040 Line 59.  If your total tax payments are greater than your total tax liabilities you will receive a tax refund for the overpayment.  If your total tax payments are less than your total tax liabilities then you will have taxes owed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies