turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a Turbo Tax computation error adding second SSA 1099 data?

In 25% bracket with 1099R (2) with a refund of $2.558 due. Add my SSA 1099 and a refund $2,358 still due. Add my wife's SSA 1099 which is half $ of mine & it computes to I owe $. Still in 25% bracket?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

You can't just watch the monitor when you are adding income because it reflects much more than the tax bracket on the income you are entering.  Adding income changes your Adjusted Gross Income, not to mention the amount of taxable social security.  Deductions or credits may change because they are sensitive to AGI, and the amount of SS that is taxable may have changed.  The only way to tell what is happening in your return is to look at your 1040 before and after entering the income.  You can do that easily by clicking on Forms in the upper right, then clicking on your 1040 which will show as part of the forms in your return on the left.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anita01

You can't just watch the monitor when you are adding income because it reflects much more than the tax bracket on the income you are entering.  Adding income changes your Adjusted Gross Income, not to mention the amount of taxable social security.  Deductions or credits may change because they are sensitive to AGI, and the amount of SS that is taxable may have changed.  The only way to tell what is happening in your return is to look at your 1040 before and after entering the income.  You can do that easily by clicking on Forms in the upper right, then clicking on your 1040 which will show as part of the forms in your return on the left.

just seems like one helluva swing from refund $25K to owe $740 for my wife's extra 14K in SS
Anita01

You said refund of $2558 earlier. which is correct?  If the swing really was $25000, that would indicate an incorrect entry.  Go back and check what you put in for her SS.  It sounds like there was  decimal point or comma error in the entry.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies