Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a penalty for receiving an early of a pension at age 56? I terminated at age 40 and received lump sum this year at age 56.

It was a standard, company pension and I was eligible to start receiving monthly benefits because I was over 55 1/2.  I left this employer in 2000 and received the lump sum in 2017.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Is there a penalty for receiving an early of a pension at age 56? I terminated at age 40 and received lump sum this year at age 56.

You do not qualify for the age-55 exception because you separated from service before the year that you reached age 55.

You do not qualify for the exception for a series of substantially equal periodic payments because you received a lump-sum buy-out of your pension, not a series of payments for life.

Other penalty exceptions for distributions from a qualified retirement plan are listed on the following IRS web page, but are less common than the ones listed above that you already do not qualify for:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-tax-on-early-distri...

View solution in original post

3 Replies

What is the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R?

The code in box 7 is 1.
dmertz
Level 15

You do not qualify for the age-55 exception because you separated from service before the year that you reached age 55.

You do not qualify for the exception for a series of substantially equal periodic payments because you received a lump-sum buy-out of your pension, not a series of payments for life.

Other penalty exceptions for distributions from a qualified retirement plan are listed on the following IRS web page, but are less common than the ones listed above that you already do not qualify for:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-tax-on-early-distri...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies