turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

macy9499

Is social security income not taxable

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Maybe. If Social Security is your only income it is not taxable.  If you have other sources of income either from working or other retirement accounts a part of your social security benefits could be taxable.  If you have other sources of income the easiest way to determine how much, if any, of your social security beneftis are taxable is to enter the information into TurboTax.  Once your income from all sources is entered in TurboTax, we will calculate the taxable portion of your benefits.  Entering this information does not mean you have to actually file the return.  You can just use the program to determine the correct tax treatment of your benefits.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Maybe. If Social Security is your only income it is not taxable.  If you have other sources of income either from working or other retirement accounts a part of your social security benefits could be taxable.  If you have other sources of income the easiest way to determine how much, if any, of your social security beneftis are taxable is to enter the information into TurboTax.  Once your income from all sources is entered in TurboTax, we will calculate the taxable portion of your benefits.  Entering this information does not mean you have to actually file the return.  You can just use the program to determine the correct tax treatment of your benefits.

I have no other income. My long term disability ended in 2020. I filed my 2020 return with the last of that income. 

Is there someone else who is now supporting you, and thus could claim you as a dependent?

@luv2messwu2 If you had no income for 2021, what are you trying to do here at this time?  Do you have a tax question for the forum?   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies