Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

edowney81

Is military retirement payments on a 1099-R supposed to have an early withdrawal penalty as a non-qualified plan? This has not happened in previous years.

I entered my 1099-R as a non-qualified plan, but was then forced to choose either Qualified retirement plan, Nonqualified annuity, or modified endowment contract. None of these match the correct selection as a non-qualified plan. I selected Qualified retirement plan, but it is adding a 10% early withdrawal penalty because I am under 59 1/2. This has not happened in previous years. How do I deal with this? I should not be paying an extra $3000 in taxes because turbotax thinks it is penalized. Military retirement is not penalized like that.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Is military retirement payments on a 1099-R supposed to have an early withdrawal penalty as a non-qualified plan? This has not happened in previous years.

If you turned 59.5 at any time during 2020.....That's a bug....

If you edit the 1099-R from the start again, you'll come to a question about whether you received any of the $$ before you reached age 59.5....and  right now you have to say NO to the question about receiving any of it under age 59.5, in order for it to post properly in the 2020 software. There is also a separate selection about it being a nonqualified plan during that initial set of questions where you can say it is a non-qualified plan.  I think answering NO to the any $$ received while under 59.5 avoids the second set of "Nonqualified annuity" questions.....and also eliminates the penalty....but like I said, that's a bug that's been reported...for a military retirement with code 7 in box 7 you shouldn't get the age 59.5 question at all.

........but the IRS isn't doing anything with any tax files before 12 Feb, so there is time for TTX to correct it .  See the discussion here...when it was first identified:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/re-the-10-early-withdraw-rule-doesn-t-apply-...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies