turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRA / ROTH IRA contributions

I am a retired military veteran. I am disabled an unable to work. Fortunately, I have pension and disability payments that make for a comfortable retirement. Since all my income is unearned, am I eligible to contribute to an IRA or Roth accounts. 


2 Replies

IRA / ROTH IRA contributions

No.  You need earned income to contribute.  Like a W2 from working or a Net Profit from self employment income.  

Employee Tax Expert

IRA / ROTH IRA contributions

Hello, generally, if your only source of income is unearned income, you can't contribute to either a traditional or a Roth IRA. However, if you are married and are filing jointly with your spouse, you may be able to make IRA contributions for the non-earning spouse based on the taxable compensation reported on their joint return.

Please let us know if I answered your question, and please give thumbs up if I answered your question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies