turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In the Turbotax question, Are you covered by a retirement plan at work? What does "covered" mean?

Turbo Tax Question:  Are you covered by a retirement plan at work?  My question:  What does "covered" mean?  I am retired but still have a retirement plan through work.  If I am retired (not "working"), do I answer "yes" or "no" to that question?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

In the Turbotax question, Are you covered by a retirement plan at work? What does "covered" mean?

covered means: the "retirement plan" box is checked on one or more of your 2017 W-2s.

If you are retired, you should find that the box is not checked, or you have no W-2s.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

You may be seeing that in the IRA contribution section. You would answer 'no' to the question if you are not currently employed and covered by one of the plans listed below.  This would be noted in box 13 of a W-2 form.

You're covered by another retirement plan at work if you have:

• a qualified pension plan,
  • a Keogh,
  • a SEP,
  • a SIMPLE,
  • a 401(k), or
  • a 403(b).
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
s246
Level 1

I may have inadvertently checked "yes" when I should have checked "no". Would like to correct. Can not seem to get back to that question to make correction. I have searched the topic, clicked on SEP IRA contributions but it does not get me back to that question. I have even switched from easy step-> forms itself and do not see the box.  Please assist me to make this correction. Thank you!

Some issue here ... any responses or ideas ?

I deleted the IRA alltogether , and when i went thru again it appeared the option about the 401k at work 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should see the question about being covered by a retirement plan at work when you enter your traditional IRA contribution in TurboTax. If not, try deleting the entry and re-enter it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies