turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In the "Traditional IRA and Roth IRA" section within "Deductions & Credits", what should I enter for after tax contributions and Roth conversion in my 401k account?x contributions when are converted to Roth?

I have a 1099-R which shows a Gross Distribution (I think this is probably the converted amount), and a Taxable Amount (I think this is how much the value increased between original after-tax contribution and conversion, but I have no idea how to convey this in TurboTax terms. Should I enter something in the Traditional IRA and Roth IRA screen? It asks how much I contributed to the Roth. Is that the Gross Distribution / Conversion amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

In the "Traditional IRA and Roth IRA" section within "Deductions & Credits", what should I enter for after tax contributions and Roth conversion in my 401k account?x contributions when are converted to Roth?

Nothing.  Your 401(k) is not an IRA.

Thanks dmertz. I struggle with the language on this stuff. I have a 401(k) account, and within that account are monies with three different status: 1. normal 401(k) pre-tax contributions and growth, 2. after-tax contributions and growth (not yet Roth converted), and 3. (in-plan converted) Roth and growth. I never know whether it is accurate to call all of that together 401(k) or just the first portion.

I take it from your answer you would call all of it 401(k). 

Why did you get a 1099R?  The taxable amount in 2a is not for the increased value. 

You do not enter anything about your 401K contributions under Deductions & Credits.  That is not an IRA or ROTH IRA.  You only enter 401K from your W2 box 12.

Did you enter the 1099R ok?  What did you convert or roll it over to?  Did it just go from the pretax 401K to the ROTH 401K?  Or did you move it to an IRA Account outside of work?

Only enter the 1099R.  Do not enter anything under Deductions & Credits for it.  It is not a new contribution to an IRA.

Enter a 1099R under

Federal Taxes on the left side

Wages & Income at the top

Then scroll way down to Retirement Plans and Social Security,

Then IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans (1099R) - click Start or Revisit

If you are filing a Joint return be sure to pick which person it is for.

dmertz
Level 15

Correct.  These are three separately tracked sub-accounts within your 401(k), all part of your 401(k).  Nothing in a 401(k) is an IRA.  Nothing regarding these sub-accounts is to be reported as traditional IRA or Roth IRA contributions under Deductions & Credits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies