Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

scotthwerden
Returning Member

In the state return, Turbo is referring to pension income as IRA income. The two are different and taxed differently in my state. How do I check this?

They are both 1099-R but one is exempt the other is not. I need to see the actual tax form to make sure TT has it correct.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

In the state return, Turbo is referring to pension income as IRA income. The two are different and taxed differently in my state. How do I check this?

Please return to the 1099-R interviews. It sounds like you checked the IRA/SEP/Simple box between boxes 7 and 8 when you entered the pension.

This is the only way that TurboTax has to know one from the other.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
scotthwerden
Returning Member

The IRA/SEP box is not checked.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

If you are using the Online software and have not paid for the product yet, note that you can see the Summary of your state tax return by doing the following: On the left click on Tax Tools, then click on Tools below it, then look to the center and click on View Tax Summary, then look back to the left and click on your state's tax summary.

If you are using the CD/download software, you can click on Forms mode and look at the state forms directly.

"In the state return, Turbo is referring to pension income as IRA income."

If you cannot see the state forms, how do you know this?

scotthwerden
Returning Member

The preview only shows the high-level numbers like AGI and taxes. It does not show the details which is what I need to see. I want to see Schedule D worksheets and calculations.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

What does Schedule D have to do with retirement distributions?

I was hoping that if one distribution was tax exempt and the other wasn't, that you would see unexplained income amounts on the state summary that would allow you to infer how the amounts were treated.

Always print your completed returns in their entirety and review them carefully before you e-File

You will have to pay the fee do do this.

It is important.

scotthwerden
Returning Member

Schedule D has nothing to do with 1099-R but Turbo is telling me that ALL of my 1099 need review, 1099-R, 1099-INT and and 1099-DIV. When I edit for review, the info makes no sense, like for total in Box 1 will be $0, even though the actual 1099 had a non-zero figure in it. Similar with the others. But when I look at the total income, it is correct. TT seems to have some bogus 1099 info and I basically am not trusting TT at this point so want to check everything, not just the summary numbers. 

I cleared everything and started over, had it re-download all my 1099s from Schwab and it is still asking me to correct things that should not need correcting. For instance, when I looked at the 1099-R list, it showed two entries for my wife's IRA but she only has one IRA, not two. The bad one has all zero for income, withholdings. I looked at the actual 1099-R I manually downloaded to my computer, and it is fine. The problem is on your end.

I think the problem is it is trying to use info from my 2019 filing for some reason. One thing you need to fix is that when a user (like me) has multiple investment accounts at Schwab, you have to tell me which account the 1099-INT is associated with when I review it. Otherwise I don't know which 1099-INT I am fixing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies