Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mncbabu

My son 18-yr-old student and has no income; a dependent in our tax return. He opened IRA account with $5500 in 2019. He used my saving money. Is it tax deductible?

My son 18-yr-old student and has no income; a dependent in our tax return. He opened IRA account with $5500 in 2019. He used my saving money. Is it tax deductible? Turbotax does not provide any options for this deduction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Ashby

My son 18-yr-old student and has no income; a dependent in our tax return. He opened IRA account with $5500 in 2019. He used my saving money. Is it tax deductible?

You are not supposed to open an IRA account without earned income. It is not a deduction for you in any scenario. It would be a deduction for a dependent.

Hal_Al
Level 15

In order for a person to make an IRA contribution, he must have earned income. In order to make a $5500 contribution, he must have at least $5500 of earned income (wages or self employment).

You need to contact the plan administrator and undo the contribution

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies