turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do i enter 401k rollover to a traditional IRa

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

Where do i enter 401k rollover to a traditional IRa

If you received a 1099-R, the IRS will also have received a copy of this 1099-R. You will need to report this 1099-R distribution on your tax return but none of it will be taxable. Just make sure that when you are reporting this information into TurboTax that for the question "What Did You Do With The Money From (your retirement fund)?", answer "I moved the money to another retirement account (or returned it to the same retirement account)" (see screenshot)

To enter your 1099- R in TurboTax Online or Desktop (you may need to upgrade to report these distributions), please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab ("Personal" tab in TurboTax Home & Business)
  2. Next click on “Wages and Income” ("Personal Income" in TurboTax Home & Business)
  3. Next click on "jump to full list" or “I’ll choose what I work on”
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Retirement Plans and Social Security”
  5. Choose "show more", then IRA, 401(k),Pension Plans (1099-R) and follow the onscreen instructions

Please note that all distributions will be reported on your tax return (whether or not they are taxable) on Form 1040 on line 15(a) (or 16(a) but only the taxable portion will show on your return as taxable on line 15(b) (or 16(b)).

To preview 1040:

• Sign into https://myturbotax.intuit.com/
  • Under Tax Timeline, click on Continue your return
  • Go to "My Account" > "Tools"
  • Under the Tools Center, select "view tax summary"
  • Select "Preview my 1040"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies