turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I explain error in amount reported on SSA-1099, when SSA agrees with my figures but has been dragging it's feet issuing corrected 1099?

Tax filing deadline is near, and I want to file using correct (my) figure but with an explanation.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

How do I explain error in amount reported on SSA-1099, when SSA agrees with my figures but has been dragging it's feet issuing corrected 1099?

If you have already contacted the Social Security Administration (SSA) and have proof of their agreement to the changes/corrections you can file your return with the correct information.  When you get the corrected document place it with your tax records.

Be diligent to follow up until you have something in writing if you don't have anything now. An explanation is not necessary to send with your return at this time.  However, if you choose to send any documentation you can print your Form 8879 (assuming you e-file) and mail it with your document to the following address.  Otherwise you can attach them to the front of the Form 1040 if filed by mail.

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements along with Form 8879 to: 
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254 
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If you have already contacted the Social Security Administration (SSA) and have proof of their agreement to the changes/corrections you can file your return with the correct information.  When you get the corrected document place it with your tax records.

Be diligent to follow up until you have something in writing if you don't have anything now. An explanation is not necessary to send with your return at this time.  However, if you choose to send any documentation you can print your Form 8879 (assuming you e-file) and mail it with your document to the following address.  Otherwise you can attach them to the front of the Form 1040 if filed by mail.

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements along with Form 8879 to: 
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254 
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies