snoopy01

If you get a state retirement from another state do you add it on the state return that you live in as deductions from your federal adjusted gross income?

I live in NC and get a retirement check from the state of Va. This is included in my federal adjusted income do I have to add this back to my NC state return?

TerryA

Only the state you live in can tax retirement income - it doesn't matter where it comes from or where "earned". So NC already has the income from the federal return so there's nothing for you to do in TT/NC about it.

And don't prepare a VA return for the retirement income 🙂

TerryA