Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For my PA tax return, What type of Distribution type for my retirement income should I use?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

For my PA tax return, What type of Distribution type for my retirement income should I use?

If you are asking about what type of retirement plan you have, in many cases, you will answer "plan's eligible", if indeed your plan is eligible for exclusion in Pennsylvania.

You may need to contact your retirement plan administrator and ask if their plan is eligible for exclusion in Pennsylvania. Please read on...

On the Pennsylvania return, you need to manually indicate which retirement distributions are not taxable (because some are taxable).

In the Pennsylvania state interview, you will come to a screen entitled "What kind of retirement income do you have from Pennsylvania?" Actually, you'll get one of these for each 1099-R you enter on the federal.

The second line identifies which 1099-R this screen is referring to. The screen says "Pennsylvania needs us to get really specific about the kind of retirement income you're receiving from [name]." (where [name] is the name you gave your 1099-R on the federal return).).

This screen wants to know what type of pension this is since some pensions are taxable in Pennsylvania.

At the box entitled "State Type Code", pull down the menu.

Choose "I'm eligible; plan's eligible (no PA tax)" if the following applies:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies