Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zunighar

I have retired from teaching in Oklahoma and have begun teaching in texas. I am now receiving a pension from Oklahoma Retirement System. Is pension taxable by Oklahoma?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have retired from teaching in Oklahoma and have begun teaching in texas. I am now receiving a pension from Oklahoma Retirement System. Is pension taxable by Oklahoma?

If you are a Texas resident, you would not have to pay Oklahoma tax on it.  Retirement income is only taxable in the state you are a resident of (if it is taxed) when it was received.

If you are an Oklahoma resident, each individual, may exclude their retirement benefits, up to $10,000, but not to exceed the amount included in the Federal Adjusted Gross Income. (To be eligible, you must have retirement income in your name.)

The retirement benefits must be received from the following: the civil service of the United States*, the Oklahoma Public Employees Retirement System of Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Teacher's Retirement System, the Oklahoma Law Enforcement Retirement System, the Oklahoma Firefighters Pension and Retirement System, the Oklahoma Police Pension and Retirement System, the Employee retirement systems created by counties pursuant to Sections 951 et seq. of Title 19 of the Oklahoma Statutes, the Uniform Retirement System for Justices and Judges, the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Department Retirement Fund, the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission Retirement Plan, or the Employee retirement systems created by municipalities pursuant to Sections 48 - 101 et seq. of Title 11 of the Oklahoma Statutes.

[Edited 10.03.18  4:31PM]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Where do you live?

If you are a Texas resident, you would not have to pay Oklahoma tax on it.  Retirement income is only taxable in the state you are a resident of (if it is taxed) when it was received.

If you are an Oklahoma resident, each individual, may exclude their retirement benefits, up to $10,000, but not to exceed the amount included in the Federal Adjusted Gross Income. (To be eligible, you must have retirement income in your name.)

The retirement benefits must be received from the following: the civil service of the United States*, the Oklahoma Public Employees Retirement System of Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Teacher's Retirement System, the Oklahoma Law Enforcement Retirement System, the Oklahoma Firefighters Pension and Retirement System, the Oklahoma Police Pension and Retirement System, the Employee retirement systems created by counties pursuant to Sections 951 et seq. of Title 19 of the Oklahoma Statutes, the Uniform Retirement System for Justices and Judges, the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Department Retirement Fund, the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission Retirement Plan, or the Employee retirement systems created by municipalities pursuant to Sections 48 - 101 et seq. of Title 11 of the Oklahoma Statutes.

[Edited 10.03.18  4:31PM]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies