turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

dmertz
Level 15

SEP IRA and 401K contribution household wage criteria?

The deadline for making a SEP IRA contribution for 2017 is the due date of your 2017 tax return.  That's April 17, 2018 if you do not request a filing extension or October 15, 2018 if you do request a filing extension.
dmertz
Level 15

I am not a CPA.  I make it a point to know the code and regulations because I and my family have many retirement accounts and I've encountered many representatives of financial institutions who don't know these things.
dmertz
Level 15

The October 1 deadline is the deadline for establishing a SIMPLE plan, not a SEP plan.  It makes no sense in this case to have a SIMPLE plan rather than a SEP plan.  Since the individual elective deferral limit of $18k is already maxed out with the 401(k) elective deferrals, no elective deferrals would be permitted to a SIMPLE plan.  Contributions to a SIMPLE plan would be limited to a 2%-of-compensation employer contribution.

If you are a sole proprietor, the contribution limits are confusing in your situation because your total earned income will be over the social security wage base for 2017 ($127,200).  However, the general rule is that the maximum contribution for a sole proprietor is 20% of net profit reduced by half self-employment tax (The 25% limit applies to employees, and many people mistakenly use that, instead of 20%). If you were under the wage base, the maximum contribution you can make is approximately 18.59% of your net profit. It may be slightly more than that in your case.

See IRS Publication 590 for worksheets to calculate your maximum SEP-IRA contribution.

How much can I contribute to my SEP?

The contributions you make to each employee’s SEP-IRA each year cannot exceed the lesser of:

1. 25% of compensation, or
  2. $54,000 for 2017 ($53,000 for 2015 and 2016 and subject to annual cost-of-living adjustments for later years).

These limits apply to contributions you make for your employees to all defined contribution plans, which includes SEPs. Compensation up to $270,000 in 2017 ($265,000 in 2015 and 2016 and subject to cost-of-living adjustments for later years) of an employee’s compensation may be considered. If you're self-employed, use a special calculation to determine contributions for yourself.

Contributions must be made in cash; you cannot contribute property.

If you’ve contributed more than the annual limits to your SEP plan, find out how to correct this mistake.

THanks that table is very informative. So for a Married File Jointly with AGI more than 118K there is no deduction for IRA. does the same assumtption hold true for SEP IRA? Your first answer contradticts with the comments by Critter#2 user. which one is correct?
does this trump the answer
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/2016-ira-contribution-and-deduction-l...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies