turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If Turbo Tax is tracking my Roth IRA basis for me, why do they ask me for it every year? If Roth IRA contributions are after taxes anyway, why does the basis matter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

If Turbo Tax is tracking my Roth IRA basis for me, why do they ask me for it every year? If Roth IRA contributions are after taxes anyway, why does the basis matter?

Tracking basis in a Roth matters if you take out an early distribution.  In that case, you are allowed to withdraw the amount of your contributions tax and penalty free.  However, your growth can be taxed and subject to early distribution penalties.  Once you reach the point where you can receive a distribution tax and penalty free, your basis is less critical.

However, if you do need to know your basis because of early distributions, it is the total amount of Roth Contributions you have made over the years, or full conversions of TIRA accounts to a Roth.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies

It will matter if you take money out before age 59 1/2.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Tracking basis in a Roth matters if you take out an early distribution.  In that case, you are allowed to withdraw the amount of your contributions tax and penalty free.  However, your growth can be taxed and subject to early distribution penalties.  Once you reach the point where you can receive a distribution tax and penalty free, your basis is less critical.

However, if you do need to know your basis because of early distributions, it is the total amount of Roth Contributions you have made over the years, or full conversions of TIRA accounts to a Roth.

I am more interested in the first question of the post.

Why do I need to enter the Roth Basis every year if Turbo Tax is tracking the basis for me?

Thanks.

BBK3
Returning Member

How does Turbo Tax keep tally on how much I paid to my IRA account and where can I find that info?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Form 8606.

BBK3
Returning Member

What if there was no Form 8606 filed?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The 8606 is only filed with your return on the year's that you have nondeductible contributions. 

@BBK3  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies