Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

susanrgr

I rolled-over traditional IRAs into 1 traditional IRA. No income from the transfer was received but I received1099-Rs from each of the companies. Do I report this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

I rolled-over traditional IRAs into 1 traditional IRA. No income from the transfer was received but I received1099-Rs from each of the companies. Do I report this?

If these were truly distributions from traditional IRAs and the Forms 1099-R have the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked, you've violated the one-rollover-per-12-months rule.  Only the first of these distributions to be rolled over was permitted to be rolled over.  Amounts deposited as rollover contributions that are in violation of the one-rollover-per-12-months rule are excess contributions to the traditional IRA that are subject to penalty.

If the money was properly moved trustee-to-trustee, the transfer is neither a distribution nor a rollover and should not have been reported on a Form 1099-R.
ricargua

I have done this twice in the last two years. Because they are "direct rollovers" they are not taxable. But you still have to report them. There will be a check mark in one of the boxes that will indicate this "direct rollover" situation and Turbotax will ask about that and have you fill it in correctly. The amount from the rollover will still show up on your bottom line as "income". But you won't be taxed on it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies