Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tomktwo

If i closed an ira account at credit union and transfer the money a broker.credit union does not issue 1099r for transfers.how do i account for this on my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

If i closed an ira account at credit union and transfer the money a broker.credit union does not issue 1099r for transfers.how do i account for this on my return?

If the "transfer" was to an IRA account of the same type (traditional or Roth) at the brokerage, it is indeed a nonreportable transfer, neither a distribution nor a rollover.

If the money was moved to an account that was not an IRA or some other qualified retirement account, it was a distribution from the IRA at the credit union, not a transfer.  In that case you must inform the credit union of their error in treating this as a transfer and they should provide you with a 2016 Form 1099-R reporting this distribution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

If the "transfer" was to an IRA account of the same type (traditional or Roth) at the brokerage, it is indeed a nonreportable transfer, neither a distribution nor a rollover.

If the money was moved to an account that was not an IRA or some other qualified retirement account, it was a distribution from the IRA at the credit union, not a transfer.  In that case you must inform the credit union of their error in treating this as a transfer and they should provide you with a 2016 Form 1099-R reporting this distribution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies