Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dm27598

If I withdrew money from 401k because of being on disability and losing my job do I have to pay taxes on it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If I withdrew money from 401k because of being on disability and losing my job do I have to pay taxes on it?

You still have to pay the tax on it.  But you probably can avoid any early withdrawal penalty on it.
dm27598

I was on Long Term Disability for over 12 months, but am back to work now. Would I still qualify for early withdrawal penalty?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

{added 3-15-17} Please refer to the IRS definition of disability. 

That could qualify as an exception to the penalty.

According to the IRS:

"There are several exceptions to the age 59 1/2 rule. Even if you receive a distribution before you are age 591 2, you may not have to pay the 10% additional tax if you are in one of the following situations.

You are totally and permanently disabled.

Disabled. If you become disabled before you reach age 59 1/2, any distributions from your traditional IRA (or 401k) because of your disability are not subject to the 10% additional tax. You are considered disabled if you can furnish proof that you cannot do any substantial gainful activity because of your physical or mental condition . A physician must determine that your condition can be expected to result in death or to be of long, continued, and indefinite duration."

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-tax-on-early-distri...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies