Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I was paid for a student internship and only received a statement of those payments, no W-2 or 1099 how do I report this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If I was paid for a student internship and only received a statement of those payments, no W-2 or 1099 how do I report this?

If you receive an internship and it covers any of your qualified tuition amounts, you would treat it as a scholarship.

In TurboTax online edition, to enter information, here are the steps:

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "1098t" and Enter
  • Select Jump to 1098t
  • On the screen, Now Let's gather XYZ's Additional Education Expenses
  • Follow prompts
  • Next screen, Your Education Expenses Summary, select Edit
  • Next screen Here's Your Education Summary, under Tuition, select Edit to enter tuition information
  •  

If it is not related or used to cover any of the amounts of your qualified tuition, you would enter it under Other Reportable Income on line 21 of your Form 1040

In TurboTax online edition, 

1.  After sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off

2.  To your left, select Federal 

3.  Scroll down to  Less Common Income / Miscellaneous Income 1099-A, 1099-C, select Start

4.  Next screen, scroll all the way down to Other Reportable Income, select Start to enter information

[Edited 3/10/2020 | 1:22PM]

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If you receive an internship and it covers any of your qualified tuition amounts, you would treat it as a scholarship.

In TurboTax online edition, to enter information, here are the steps:

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "1098t" and Enter
  • Select Jump to 1098t
  • On the screen, Now Let's gather XYZ's Additional Education Expenses
  • Follow prompts
  • Next screen, Your Education Expenses Summary, select Edit
  • Next screen Here's Your Education Summary, under Tuition, select Edit to enter tuition information
  •  

If it is not related or used to cover any of the amounts of your qualified tuition, you would enter it under Other Reportable Income on line 21 of your Form 1040

In TurboTax online edition, 

1.  After sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off

2.  To your left, select Federal 

3.  Scroll down to  Less Common Income / Miscellaneous Income 1099-A, 1099-C, select Start

4.  Next screen, scroll all the way down to Other Reportable Income, select Start to enter information

[Edited 3/10/2020 | 1:22PM]

So then I have to file Form 8919 and wait for determination on that before I can file?
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If you want to pay FICA , you would need to file a Form 8919. TurboTax will file the form with your taxes.
Cnote0717

I have an internship (not affiliated with a university so no 1098-T, also did not receive a W-2 nor 1099) in a state outside of my state of residence. When I do the Other Reportable Income process, the taxes I need to pay are added to my state of residence total, not the state I worked in. How do I go about to fix this?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies