Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I pay room and board out of an IRA distribution and avoid the 10% penalty, can I still claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If I pay room and board out of an IRA distribution and avoid the 10% penalty, can I still claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit

Yes, room and board counts as a college expense and can be used against the additional penalty. Room and board is not an eligible expense to apply for a credit. Therefore, the remaining education expenses that were not paid with tax-free assistance may be used to apply for an education credit, such as the American Opportunity Credit, as long as you meet the other requirements.

According to the IRS: 

“Qualified education expenses. For purposes of the 10% additional tax, these expenses are tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for enrollment or attendance at an eligible educational institution. They also include expenses for special needs services incurred by or for special needs students in connection with their enrollment or attendance.

In addition, if the student is at least a half-time student, room and board are qualified education expenses.

The expense for room and board qualifies only to the extent that it isn't more than the greater of the following two amounts.

The allowance for room and board, as determined by the eligible educational institution, that was included in the cost of attendance (for federal financial aid pur-poses) for a particular academic period and living arrangement of the student.

The actual amount charged if the student is residing in housing owned or operated by the eligible educational institution.

You may need to contact the eligible educational institution for qualified room and board costs.”

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 970 Education Credits

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Yes, room and board counts as a college expense and can be used against the additional penalty. Room and board is not an eligible expense to apply for a credit. Therefore, the remaining education expenses that were not paid with tax-free assistance may be used to apply for an education credit, such as the American Opportunity Credit, as long as you meet the other requirements.

According to the IRS: 

“Qualified education expenses. For purposes of the 10% additional tax, these expenses are tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for enrollment or attendance at an eligible educational institution. They also include expenses for special needs services incurred by or for special needs students in connection with their enrollment or attendance.

In addition, if the student is at least a half-time student, room and board are qualified education expenses.

The expense for room and board qualifies only to the extent that it isn't more than the greater of the following two amounts.

The allowance for room and board, as determined by the eligible educational institution, that was included in the cost of attendance (for federal financial aid pur-poses) for a particular academic period and living arrangement of the student.

The actual amount charged if the student is residing in housing owned or operated by the eligible educational institution.

You may need to contact the eligible educational institution for qualified room and board costs.”

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 970 Education Credits

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies