cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1

If I claim my sister as a dependent will I be responsible for any of her bills or mess up her social security or Medicare benefits?

are there ramifications for claiming my sister as a dependent either for me or her?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 1

If I claim my sister as a dependent will I be responsible for any of her bills or mess up her social security or Medicare benefits?

If you claim your sister as a dependent you will not be responsible for her bills.  However, it may affect her Social Security and Medicare benefits.  You will have to contact the Social Security Administration and Medicare to determine the effect it will have on your sister. 

3 Replies
Level 1

If you claim your sister as a dependent you will not be responsible for her bills.  However, it may affect her Social Security and Medicare benefits.  You will have to contact the Social Security Administration and Medicare to determine the effect it will have on your sister. 

Level 11

Medicare will not be impacted, nor will regular Social Security or SSDI.
SSI (Supplemental Security Income) or MediCAID could be.
Level 1

Thank You